Hi there, strangers! Learn how to create mouthwatering gluten and dairy-free cinnamon bagels with this straightforward recipe tutorial. With just a few essential ingredients, you’ll be astounded by how these homemade bagels outshine their store-bought counterparts.
So, let’s get started!
For the Bagel Dough
- 1 cup dairy-free yogurt
- 2 cups gluten-free self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves (adjust to taste)
For the Cinnamon Sugar Coating
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves
Prepare the Dough
- In a mixing bowl, combine the yogurt, 1 teaspoon of sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon of the mixed cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves.
- Gradually add the flour to the yogurt mixture, stirring until a dough forms.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for a few minutes until it’s smooth and elastic. If it’s too sticky, you can add a bit more flour.
Shape the Bagels
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions.
- Roll each portion into a ball, then flatten it slightly and use your finger to poke a hole through the center to create the bagel shape
Cinnamon Sugar Coating
- In a small bowl, mix together the remaining 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of the mixed cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves for the coating.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture evenly over the top of each bagel, pressing it gently so it adheres.
Bake the Bagels
- Place the coated bagels on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 20 minutes, or until the bagels are golden brown and cooked through.
- Allow the cinnamon bagels to cool on a wire rack before serving.
Flour Consistency: The dough should come together nicely, but it may vary slightly depending on the brand of gluten-free flour and yogurt used. If the dough feels too dry, add a tablespoon of yogurt at a time until it reaches the right consistency.
Baking Time for Cinnamon-Coated Bagels: Because these bagels are coated with cinnamon, they may brown more quickly in the oven. It’s crucial to keep a close eye on them, but also be careful not to overbake. If you have a strong oven, these bagels will likely be ready at around 18-20 minutes. This ensures they develop a beautifully golden crust without becoming overly browned.
Place another baking tray filled with water on the bottom rack of your oven. This clever trick adds moisture to the oven, preventing the bagels from drying out and helping them stay fluffy. Enjoy your moist and fluffy cinnamon bagels!
How to Serve
Toast the bagel to your desired level of crispiness.
Spread a generous layer of peanut butter and drizzle honey over it.
Enjoy with a strong cup of coffee for a delightful pairing.
Alternatively, when in the mood for something savory, toast the bagel and spread a generous amount of salted butter.
Feel free to explore other serving options, and let me know if you discover any delicious combinations!
The Story Behind the Recipe
The original version of these bagels began with strong white flour, but I couldn’t resist experimenting in the kitchen. I decided to try a gluten-free and dairy-free variation, and much to my surprise, I liked them even more! These bagels turned out incredibly fluffy and flavorful, with an enticing aroma that’s so light it tempts you to eat them all!